Monday, January 25, 2010

Farmers Cheese Pancakes

Here on "The Beach," as the South Beach Diet is known, breakfasts can be hard. Many people don't even EAT breakfast (which I have never understood), and then many people find giving up their bad carbs for breakfast one of the hardest parts of the program. Since starting almost four weeks ago, I have eaten an egg of some shape or form almost daily and I'm pretty "egged" out... and I'm an egg lover! Lucky for me I found some AWESOME South Beach recipes in the magazine "First for Women." This particular issue has Jenny McCarthy on the cover and I HIGHLY recommend picking it up the next time you're at the grocery store.

My wonderful husband makes these "pancakes" for me on the weekends, and I think they are GREAT! I had never had farmers cheese before, but you can find it with the other cheeses at the supermarket. It's kind of like a cross between cheddar and mozzarella, but softer like mozzarella. Instead of topping the "pancakes" with the remainder of the cheese like the recipe says, I put a tablespoon of Lite Cool Whip on top and roll it up with a piece of turkey bacon in the middle. Can you say YUM?! Makes me want one NOW! Try these if you are jonesing for a traditional pancake. You will be pleasantly surprised!

Farmers Cheese Pancakes
* 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 cup grated farmers cheese, divided
* 2 tsp. granulated sugar substitute

1. Heat oven to 200 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, 2/3 cup farmers cheese and sugar substitute.
2. Lightly coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into skillet; cook 2 minutes, or until pancake is set and edges start to turn golden. Flip pancake and cook 1 minute more.
3. Transfer to oven proof platter; place in oven to keep warm. Repeat to make 8 pancakes. Top with remaining cheese.
Serves 4

Per serving: Calories: 206 Protein: 19g Carbs: 2g Fiber: 0g Sodium: 340mg Total fat: 12g Saturated fat: 5g

No comments:

Post a Comment